Aspie Meets Sociopath
Aug. 4th, 2013 11:24 amOnce upon a time, in a land far away, I met an individual I had no hesitation in diagnosing as a sociopath. I'll call him S, and me A. Here's the story as best I recall it:
S and A are casual and recent acquaintances
S asks to use A's phone. It's a fixed-in-place phone located in A's bedroom.
A gives S privacy for S's phone call.
Next morning:
A is getting ready for work
A gathers up keys, wallet, etc from the dresser where they live overnight
A's credit card is missing.
A searches and cannot find the card
A eventually gives up, not wanting to be late for work, and calls the credit card company to report a lost card. A is embarassed, sure the cat had knocked the card behind the furniture or something.
Lunchtime:
A gets phone call at work; someone had tried to use the card. They had run off when approval had seemed to be taking too long.
Evening:
A gets phone call at home, from S. S is furious with A because S had almost been caught by the cops.
A basically says - of course I protected myself when I discovered the card lost. What did you expect?
Some days later:
S calls A, wanting to sell A something.
At the time, I figured S for an idiot, as well as a sociopath. Precisely what did S expect A to do when the card was missed? I also figured S was a socipath only because of the angry phone call; otherwise the hypothesis would have been that S was "just" a thief.
Now I'm wondering. If A had been replaced by N (a neurotypical), what would N have done? Would N have reported the lost card? Would N have reacted to S's angry phone call with sympathy and/or placation?
Next morning:
Lunchtime:
Evening:
Some days later:
At the time, I figured S for an idiot, as well as a sociopath. Precisely what did S expect A to do when the card was missed? I also figured S was a socipath only because of the angry phone call; otherwise the hypothesis would have been that S was "just" a thief.
Now I'm wondering. If A had been replaced by N (a neurotypical), what would N have done? Would N have reported the lost card? Would N have reacted to S's angry phone call with sympathy and/or placation?
no subject
Date: 2013-08-04 10:32 pm (UTC)The point is, I would not have placated some stupid thief, psycho or not. If he called me back, I'd have assumed he was a stalker.